The Venerable Maria del Refugio Aguilar founded an Institute in Mexico City out of love for Jesus in his Eucharistic Mystery, that was centered on loving Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament and making reparation for the many offenses He receives in this sacrament.
At the same time, Maria del Refugio wanted to foster a quality Catholic education which would foster the blossoming not only of academic knowledge, but a blooming of virtues and the strengthening of character.
June 11, 1946
The Mercedarian Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, were aggregated to the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy. Our Mother Foundress Maria del Refugio wanted to put our Institute under the patronage of Our Lady of Mercy and share therefore in all the graces and indulgences given to the Order.
We are a Religious Institute of Pontifical Right, meaning that we are directly under the authority of the Holy See. This decree of Pontifical Right is given through the Congregation for Religious and Secular Institutes. Constitutions are submitted directly to the Holy See for approval, and other matters of law such as perpetual vows or promises, and dispensations, must be submitted to the Holy See for approval.